El Rey was first used as a brand
name for chili and sliced beef and
gravy by General Meat Company, a St.
Louis based beef slaughtering
facility. General Meat Company was
founded in 1931 by Irving J.
Reinhardt, a native of St. Louis,
who operated the company for 37
years. General Meat was originally
located on North Broadway in St.
Louis, Missouri. It later moved to
2620 Elliott Avenue in the old
Butchertown District of North St.
Louis City. Due to the exodus of
beef slaughtering in St. Louis in
the late 1960s, General Meat was
liquidated, and out of this emerged
the newly formed El Rey Meat
Company, a partnership founded by
Joseph A. Frisella and Irving’s
brother, Hadley Reinhardt in 1968.
El Rey Meat Company, Inc. was
founded, and remains a thriving
business, utilizing the original
formulas from the 1930’s. Joseph’s
son, Joseph R. Frisella owns and
operates the business today, 44
years after his father opened the
doors at 6190 Bermuda Drive in
Joseph R. Frisella's
Dominic Frisella is currently
working with him as Vice President.